Friday, July 10, 2009

The Power of Speech

The commandment to not murder, seems very far removed, from the much smaller temptations and challenges, which we face every day.

One could wonder, whether or not there is any spiritual merit earned, for working to improve our relationships with others; beyond the obvious scriptural edict, that we shouldn't kill each other, when we get angry, G-d forbid!

Although G-d commands Gentiles only concerning the Seven Noahide Laws and all their details, they are can go further, for the sake of receiving additional divine reward; and also observe most (but not all) of the many other laws, which the Torah requires of Jews.
__________
For example: THE POWER OF SPEECH

G-d created humans, as a unique combinatio,n of the physical and spiritual; in such a way, that our conscious thoughts, speech and actions, reverberate through, and impact on, the spiritual dimensions. A thoughtless angry outburst, can devastate the feelings of another.

In the spiritual realm, the effect can be even more severe. Likewise, an uncomplimentary piece of gossip, may or may not reach the physical ears of the one, that is spoken of.

But on a higher plane, that person can be damaged by the gossiper's eagerness, to spread the news of his or her faults.
One who sheds the blood of man, in the man, his blood shall be shed." (Gen. 9:6)
_________

QUESTION: "In the man" seems repetitious and unnecessary.

ANSWER: The Talmud (Bava Metziah 58b) states, that if one publicly embarrasses another, it is as if he spills his blood; because the one who is embarrassed blushes, and blood rushes to his face, (as if trying to leave his body). Then his face pales, as the blood rushes to other parts of the body; and it takes on the ashen, pallid appearance, of a corpse.

The difference between actual murder, and embarrassment is, that in murder, blood actually leaves the body; whereas in embarrassment, the blood changes location within the body.
____________
From the book Vedibarta Bam (And You Shall Speak of Them), by Rabbi Moshe Bogomilsky.
Published and copyright © by Sichos In English.

The following stories of the Baal Shem Tov, illustrate these points.


(They are taken from the book HaYom Yom ("Day by Day," Kehot Publication Society, New York), an anthology of short Chassidic teachings, for each day of the year. Compiled by the Lubavitcher Rebbe, Rabbi Menachem M. Schneerson.)

Page 100:

"A resident of Mezibuz [in the Western Ukraine], had a quarrel with another. Once, while in the synagogue of the Baal Shem Tov, he shouted that he would "tear the other fellow to pieces like a fish!"

The Baal Shem Tov told his desciples, to hold one another's hand, and to stand near him with their eyes closed. Then he placed his holy hands, on the shoulders of the two disciples next to him. Suddenly, the disciples began shouting in great terror: They had seen, that fellow actually dismembering his disputant!"

This incident shows clearly, that every potential has an effect - either in physical form or on a spiritual plane, that can be perceived only, with higher and more refined, senses
__________
Page 104:

The Baal Shem Tov used to instruct his disciples, in a regular Talmud study-session. His style of study, was with great acuity and brilliance, and included a study of: Rambam, Alfasi, Rosh; and other commentaries, of the early commentators, germane to the Talmud-text under examination.

The Baal Shem Tov would translate the words (of the text), into Yiddish.

When studying in [the tractate] Eirchin 15b the passage "The 'third tongue'* kills three persons," the Baal Shem Tov translated and explained:

"Lashon hara [Hebrew for "the evil tongue," i.e., truthful slander], kills all three: the inventor of the slander, the one who relates it, and the listener. This is all in spiritual terms, which is more severe than physical murder."

*The "third tongue" refers to the person relating, a previously-heard slander. He acts as a "third party" or intermediary, between the originator of the slander, and the listener.
_______________

Words

It's ironic, that I struggle with the principles of proper speech.

I can't seem to shake the "lashon hara" ["evil speech"] bug . This malady shows up to embarrass and dismay me, rather often. In fact, there's an epidemic of unseemly communication in this world.

You'd think people would develop immunity to it, but, like each new strain of virus; one person with the disease, seems to exacerbate symptoms, in everyone else. I think I've discovered some of the reasons for my own verbal relapses, though:
_________
When I write, I reflect on my topic for several minutes, while my fingers transcribe my thoughts. Then, I go back over what's on the page, culling unnecessary words, polishing clumsy phrases, banishing entire paragraphs, if they sound mean-spirited or derogatory.

I pare my piece to the meat of my subject, trimmed to give it impact. I don't write "fluff," and I'm mindful of the professional organization I represent.

Speech however, is so effortless and quick, that I don't give it as much thought.


When I talk, I'm likely to "clarify" things, with an avalanche of information. Long after I make my point, my words rumble on down the mountain. Sometimes, I should just stop talking and say, "I think I've about, covered the topic."
_________
Another fault is that, while I'm not usually a gossiper, sometimes I just HAVE to put in, my microbe of information. Before you know it, unhelpful thoughts are circulating through the air like germs, making my ears itch, and my tongue wag. My throat becomes husky with whispers, like "Well, let me tell you, what I know about that!" In the bottom of my heart, I feel a little ill, when this happens.
__________
"Lashon hara" infects minds, with things better left unsaid, thoughts best not shared. Then comes the sickening recognition, "Oops, I did it again!"

Lots of times, there are little warning signs along the way, but on I talk, thinking that I can save face, or seem wise, or fit in with my own juicy gem of wisdom.
___________
The Torah says, that the power of life and death are in the tongue. [Proverbs 18:21].

G-d holds us accountable for what we say. I've always known that, but I often fail to live up to the awesome responsibility, that comes with the gift of speech. Perhaps I should speak, more like the way I write.

May G-d grant me the grace, to be silent sometimes; and the kindness, to say gently, what is necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment